Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tuesday Tidbits

Just thought I'd share a few of my favorite photos from the past week. 

I've been searching high and low for some letter magnets for the fridge and dishwasher for Colbi. She loves to play with the ones at her sitter's house but I couldn't find them anywhere! Gigi to the rescue! Mom found some and Colbi has been obsessed.

This is hair at the end of the day when I pull it back. Crazy hair!
Colbi is in this phase "sorting" and it's hilarious. Friday she took the hangers off the couch and put them back on the couch for a good 30 minutes. Ah, the things that keep kids entertained sometimes!

I am totally loving this age by the way. Colbi is one funny girl and her personality has really started to blossom over the past month. She loves her daddy and wrestling between the two has become a nightly occurrence that I have enjoyed watching. Some of her favorite words are "no-no", "Momma" if she is tired, and "what's that".

**************************************

We also had a visitor Saturday night! Avery came to spend the night and it was so funny to watch her and Colbi play together. I think sharing might be an issue for both of them as they grow up. HA! Mom and Dad came down and took us all to dinner and then blizzard after. I can't remember what Avery said, but at one point, we were all dying from laughter while stuffing our faces with ice cream.

After Colbi went to sleep, Avery "brushed" my hair for about an hour. It was the first thing she wanted to do when we woke up Sunday morning too. Maybe a future hairdresser in the making? 

On to other news, I am one tired girl!

I've been doing some contract work once a week for an assisted living facility, so my weeks have been FULL lately. It's amazing how God uses certain circumstances to teach us important lessons. Let's just say, working with the elderly is definitely a calling but it truly has been a blessing for me. I've enjoyed the conversations that come with my weekly visit and I must admit, in almost every client I meet, I'm reminded of my own Mimi and Pappaw. This particular demographic are well off enough to pay for a facility like this, but it's still a reminder that it comes down to this special group of people who deserve the care/time of all of us. Every one of them is someone's mother or father, sister/brother, and grandparent (and if we are all lucky enough to live that long, we will be {gulp} old one day. Eek!). God has used this time to show me opportunities for growth and compassion for others in my own life. It's amazing to hear their stories and about their families. 

One of the ladies I met with a few weeks ago past away suddenly and I was actually a little sad. She had served in the military as a nurse in her younger days. She shared stories of her experience in the service and told me all about her daughters and how proud she was of each of them. She appeared truly happy and I'm just thankful for those moments I spent with her. She reminded me that no matter what age, we all still seek  the approval of our parents and want them to be proud of who we are and the choices we make.

In the hussle and bussle of daily life I think it is forgotten that none of us are promised tomorrow
Seize the day. Be kind to others, especially the elderly and people of special needs. Every person you come across have struggles and trials of all different kinds. I feel as though God brought this opportunity to me for a special reason, even if to only bring a little happiness to them through a ministry of beauty! 

1 comment:

Jenna @ Sharing My Jennarocity said...

What a beautiful post, Brooke. I appreciated reading that today, I certainly needed it!!