Monday, January 5, 2015

2015. The year of Compassion.

We had a really nice Christmas and New Year! What about you?!

I have to say though, I'm glad its over. The holidays are always a busy time, not only with family obligations but work for me is, well.....BUSY. And, I'm not complaining! Please don't think I am. I do feel like I am able to breathe again. And, hopefully, find some time to start working out again! That has been on the back burner for a few weeks now and I feel yucky!

I've been thinking about the new year. I don't do resolutions, let's face it, they are like diets. They stay with us for a few days and then, when temptation creeps in, we fail. Sometimes it's after a few days, sometimes a few weeks, and sometimes we actually make it to the middle of the year. I've contemplated what things I really want to focus on for the new year (besides the typical loose weight, have a daily quiet time, etc). One of the main things I keep thinking about it, one of the things I severely lack, one of the things I know I need work on, is in the area of compassion. I admit it. I am not a compassion person in the least. And sometimes, that really erks me. 

After attending church (on the regular) for some time now, our pastor is always really big on change it seems. Change within yourself, living life the way Jesus calls us to live, and without looking back. Living a life that calls us to serve, because that's how we grow. Compassion, I believe, isn't something all people are born with. Let's face it, we need people in this world that look us in the face and say, "Buck up, life ain't that hard. You can beat this. You can save your marriage. You can loose the weight. Your appearance isn't everything....etc, etc." With that said, my heart needs to be softened some. 

I think it's not necessarily that I'm not compassionate, I think I border more on "life is hard, there are things we don't want to to do but have to do them anyway" type of attitude. We all have choices, some of us make good choices, other's don't. The ones who live their lives always following rules and never make "that" choice are no better than the ones who do.
 *Just so you know, I'm the rule follower, never do anything that will get me into trouble type of gal. Some say this life is boring, I'd have to agree to a degree.*
Jesus doesn't love any one of us more than another. So all the bible toting, holier than thou people can chill. That doesn't get you into heaven. We are only allowed in through Jesus Christ, who paid for all the sins we would ever commit. 
(Sidenote: I'm not meaning for this to be preachy, I just feel like compassion and the big man upstairs go hand in hand. You get me?)

The definition of compassion is this: 
sympathetic and pity of concern for the suffering or less fortune of others

Think about that. Isn't this exactly what Jesus taught us in so many stories throughout the bible? He showed other's compassion, and you know what, without JUDGEMENT. That's the biggest one. How can you show compassion without enabling, be compassionate without feeling inferior, and compassionate without screaming at the top of your lungs, "Life is a wonderful gift! Start being thankful and live it!" 

I am vowing to start living with a more compassionate outlook. To try and help those people who need it, without feeling like I have a right to tell them how to live or what to do just because I helped them. To find opportunities to teach Colbi what compassion is about. To learn how to be a better listener for those who need it. And, to understand, that it's going to be a conscious effort. I pray that God allows to soften me some, to show me that in a world that terrifies me at times, there are still people who thrive in having and showing compassion for others. 

I challenge you, all four of who still read my blog, to find something that you need to change about yourself. For the better. For the greater good. Or even, to make your household a much more peaceful place.  

Peace out 2014. Onto a new year, with new challenges and new "firsts". 

1 comment:

Jenna @ Sharing My Jennarocity said...

I think this is a great way to look at a "resolution" differently - to focus on ways to be more like Christ. You are already more like Him if you are looking at your weaknesses and turning to Him to help change them for the better. Most people don't even acknowledge them, it takes a lot of strength to do that and be willing to change. Proud of you sister.