Thursday, March 21, 2013

Some good, easy reads

I came across three different reads today that I thought were worth sharing. 

Growingleaders has an article written basically saying that my generation is now baby-ing our children to the point of a skinned knee or not making the basketball team is a life alternating event. And you know, THEY'RE RIGHT. It's kind of pathetic the way now days, we are afraid to hurt our kids' feelings or let them be upset. I see it all the time, and sometimes, I'm already that parent. Eek. 

I remember (and my parents will laugh that I'm sharing this) in fifth grade I tried out for cheerleader. I didn't make it, but my twin sister did. I was devastated. I was embarrassed. I remember just running toward my dad and he scooped me up and took me outside while I cried and cried. Funny the memories we have. And then, my mom had the nerve to suggest that I do drill team instead. What! How can she even suggest that? I want to wallow in my self pity party! I ended up doing drill team that year and watched Leslie be a cheerleader on the field. Did I feel jealous? Yes. Was I mad that I (in my mind) I had to do drill team instead of be a star cheerleader? Yes. But, it did teach me something. It taught me, that life goes on. No matter what. And, I learned that disappointment was a part of life, ain't no getting around it. And, I should've learned that cheerleading got me no where in life and should have stuck with volleyball. I may not have had any student loans had I worked a little harder. Should-a, would-a, could-a.

I had a few other hard life lessons in my time, but that was one that always stood out for me. That and my well known, I-had-a-broken-arm-for-two-weeks-story I love to tell. But, according to this article, my parents did a good job at teaching me the art of survival. Bahahahaha.

This blog had a really good read for people with daughters.  

I sometimes really struggle with how to raise Colbi. What I mean by that........she's only 8 months old, it's not like she is giving me huge problems at the moment. But, I think about the future. I think about the type of woman I want to raise and how to guide her in such a way that she understands the importance of being a woman who is strong, yet lets her guard down. Independent but learns that God set up the world for us to be loved and supported by a man. Kind, polite, mannerly, outgoing, loving, a leader.......I mean, just so many things! 

I want Colbi above all, to know the Lord. I think having a relationship with God above all takes care of most of those issues I stated. Although, she learns what type of woman to model herself after from me. From her grandmothers. From her aunts. All of whom are all very classy, lovely, fun, independent women. But I'm who she sees everyday. She's sees my decision making, how I handle problems, how I treat others, and most of all, how I treat her dad and how he treats me. Read the article. It's good. And, it reminds me that raising a daughter is one of the most precious gifts I have ever been given. 

A Letter to Young Mother's really hit home for me. I guess because I do have a kiddo who is only 8 months old. So many things she states in this post are true. Women judge other women. Don't pretend you don't. Even the most Christian, "holier-than-thou" judge other people but tell women they don't. Liars. And, that's the truth. We judge on all sorts of stuff. What each other wear, do we cook or eat out, how our house looks, how our children are dressed, did you breastfeed, bottle-feed, cry-it-out, rock to sleep, read everyday.....blah, blah, blah. It's EXHAUSTING. And, it's not even true. Who cares that this baby crawled before this one, or that my kid has still not gotten any teeth (not that I'm rushing it), or heaven forbid I don't choose to leave Colbi will just anyone at this point. That's my decision. And, it's not wrong or right, it's just me. 

I think it explains several issues that seem to hang over the head of new moms. I'm keeping that one handy for that day I'm feeling like I've let Colbi down as a mom, or everyone else down because she isn't reading at a fifth grade level in the first grade. You get my point.

Anywho. I hope you find time to read all three. I found them to be extremely helpful. And, they're good for a little gut check.

Happy reading!

No comments: