Wednesday, May 22, 2013

What I've learned thus far in my Mommy journey...

I decided to link up and share what I've come to know in the past 10 months as a new Mommy.

I really like this Build 'Em Up series Kelly is doing. And I really like this topic. 
{I also realize this was suppose to get posted yesterday. Oops!}


The topic is being confident in your choices as a Mommy. I'm not really sure I'm the best to talk about confidence as I research almost everything. HA!

I will say, when Colbi was brand spankin' new, I worried. A LOT. It wasn't so much worried like, I didn't know what to do, it was more worry about outside factors. You know, people not washing their hands before they held her, her getting sick, her crying/being upset and me not being able to calm her down. All the normal stuff first time moms worry about I think. I was (or still could be) super OCD about my kid. I'm okay with that. Because I'm her mother. Not anyone else. And, I have to give a shout out to my sister for always listening to me in those first few months about silly things and not making me feel like looney bird. Thanks JP!

Before becoming a Mommy, I never really understood how mommies just "knew" what their kids needed, what their cries meant......but, obviously, now I understand. I can be a bit of a control freak. My husband laughs at me. Some people might judge me. I don't care.

On one hand, I'm a total must-be-in-control kind of mom and on the other, I can be a roll-with-the-punches type of mom. I think it depends on the environment and people. I think you are more comfortable with certain people around your child than others. I try to not worry about the "what ifs". It's really hard though.

My point is, I'm not always confident that I'm acting the right way or always doing the right thing.....but, I am confident that I'm the only one who loves Colbi like I do. Like a mother can. Dave and I try to make decisions based on what we think is right. We ask for advice when we need it. Sometimes we take it, sometimes we don't. And, that's okay.

I think it's all about what's right for you and your child. I really try to not judge other people's approaches or parenting styles. Not everything works with every kid and it's not always easy. CIO works for some, other's not. Some can nurse for a full year, some can't. Some swaddle, some don't. Pacifiers, no pacifiers. Awwweee, the choices!

I've also been SO much more sympathetic to the mom of the child screaming in the grocery store. Funny how babies can change that for you!

I think as long as you, the parent, feels good about how you are raising your child that's all that matters. Pray about it, research it, and stick to your guns if you're passionate about what you decide.

By the way, have you seen 'Parental Guidance'?

No comments: