Saturday, September 25, 2010

Ten Year Reunion

Here's a brief recap as to how to my ten year reunion went last night.

Started off with a girl's dinner (plus Dave) at good ole' Roadhouse where my parents, sister, and brother in law just happened to be enjoying dinner as well. Short dinner=early arrival at the reunion, which just happened to work out since we didn't have to pay the $5 entry fee. Score.

I can't really explain how I feel about the ten year reunion. It was great to see many people there, some conversations were awkward and quite uncomfortable. You try to be social and make conversations with people you haven't seen but to be frankly honest, what is the point to having reunions anymore?

Everyone is on facebook or has a blog or tweets (whatever that is) so it's almost as if you already pretty much know what's going on with everyone. Even people you never speak with so most of the conversations I had last night consisted of old high school memories or just really saying hello.

I'm glad I went, although I'm not sure how I feel about attending the 20 year. Simply for the fact we are so technologically bound together that I'm not sure there is a need. But, that's a looonnggg way away so who knows.

It was a weird mix of people and you could tell, many people didn't feel like small talk (even with me). I got the vibe and you know what, that's okay. That's the beauty of being out of high school, you don't have to spend time talking or socializing with people you simply do not have anything in common.

Now, waking up to attend my work meeting this morning at 8am was simply painful. I am proud to say, Dave lasted the majority of the night. After about two hours he asked if he leave. And I appreciate that; he came, he hung out, he left. Hope he remembers that when it's his turn. HA!

2 comments:

Linda D said...

I struggled with going to my reunion, which was a couple weeks before yours. But, I decided to go because people were coming from all over the world, and I really missed them. I am glad I went, but it was so different for us because we all met up in a city where none of us lived, stayed together at a resort and had four full days of being together doing all kinds of activities. there was much more time for catching up and quality time. but also, we all went to a small school together in another country. anyways, all this to say, i can see what you mean about your reunion. and the internet definitely does change things. the sad part is seeing how some people never change and are still living pretty empty lives (although, they arent fully aware). makes you glad you get to come home to your life, and thank God for growing you up :) i saw a few pics of you and you, my dear, look stunning!

Bradshaw's Buzz said...

OMG I was having the same conversation with a few of the girls from H.S. before the reunion. What's the point of a 10-yr, 20-yr, ect "reunion" when Facebook, Twitter and all the other social networks allow us to be-friend someone and therefore have our own personal reunion on our own terms.

Although, it is nice to see people IRL vs. the computer screen ;)