Friday, June 10, 2011

Go for Yours: Rule #6

"Going for yours is about pursuing something with such a singular focus that you put all your energy into getting there. You'll have to sacrifice some thing. It might be tough, tiring, the hardest thing you've ever had to do. But if you keep rule #6 in front of you like the proverbial carrot in front of the horse, you'll be developing a valuable skill-a skill that can bring you success."
-Bethenny Frankel, A Place of Yes-

It's funny how this part of chapter six stuck out to me above almost anything else in the book. I feel like sometimes, people (me) loose focus on what it is I want to achieve because it is hard and takes longer than I want.

The majority of successful people reached success because of hard work and dedication. Very few are successful simply because they were in the right place at the right time, although this does happen.

I think back to my college days and know that if I would have kept that goal as my number priority, I would have finished in the typical four years versus eight. That's not really here nor there but it is true. If I would have put my all as a Service Manager, who knows where'd I be today. I feel like things happen for a reason because who's to say I'd be happily married right now if I had? That's the real reason why I don't regret any of it, I could have married some guy who really wasn't meant for me and be incredibly unhappy right now.

Bethenny talks about desperation noise in this chapter too, which goes so well with going for yours, don't you think? Mainly her explanation of desperation noise is that when you go for yours, make sure to be realistic about what it is you are going for. Are you setting out to achieve the unattainable? For example, some people become so desperate to be rich they sacrifice everything for something that really won't make them rich in the first place. She does say though, if you are following the first five rules, chances are you won't be doing something that's wasting your time anyway.

"Losing is the price we pay for living. It is also the source of much of our growth and pain."
-Judith Viorst-

Life is full of all types of lessons. Marriage, patience, money, education, friendships........you name it. I always ask the kids at the work (high school kids) what they learned at school today and their response is always "nothing." Seriously?? You were in school for 7 hours and learned nothing? I think about that alot, what have I learned for today?

The quote above really makes me think, if we never do anything that allows us to live, what do we really learn?

I've learned through my recent miscarriage that it's okay to be sad. I'm typically a very private person (and I blog, I know), by private I mean, I'll talk about what is going on in my life but I try to remember that people get tired of hearing about "stuff" (good or bad). I was talking to my sister last week and we were discussing how you can get sick of reading about people's lives who seem perfect and easy, so it goes both ways I guess. I also learned that through this healing process, it didn't just effect me. Dave is still struggling with our loss, my friends and family worry about me, and I've changed. I'm becoming a much more compassionate, tolerate person. I'm seeing life in different ways I never thought possible.

I was talking to my boss today and he just kept saying "It's okay to be sad and allow others to know you're sad Brooke. You don't always have to be strong." That really stuck with me today, I guess because it came from him and it made me realize I haven't talked to anyone at work besides telling them what was going on.

I'm also learning that this is my time. Go for mine. Seize the moment. God uses certain circumstances to allow for growth. I truly believe that, maybe I wouldn't have ever gotten another to chance to chase my dreams/goals. So, to sum it up..........I'm going for mine. :)

No comments: