Thursday, April 16, 2009

"Left Behind"

So I have become obsessed with these books. Like I said in my last entry, Dave and I listened to this whole first book on audio on our way to and from Georgia and it really just got my attention. A little premise for those of you who might not have read it yet. The book series is about the rapture and the 7 years of tribulation that follow Christ return and the rise of the Antichrist (serious stuff huh!) I'm sure the majority of you have read the book but wanted to tell you just in case ;) This book just got me so interested again for a few reasons and I wanted to share them:

#1 When the disappearances first happen, the book begins to describe all the different places where people just vanished. On planes, in school, at the hospital, while driving, and the one that really got me was when they described a wedding that was going on where the groom just disappeared and left the bride there standing all alone. I mean think about it, can you imagine all of a sudden people around just vanishing? Pretty scary and exciting at the same time.

#2 The pastor in the book who was left behind spoke of how knew the word of God, "pretended" to live it and put on a show for the church but when God came back to get his people, he was left. It then got me thinking, I know I am saved but do I live out my life the way God asks of me or do I simply put on a show? I think that is a question we all ask ourselves sometimes, I mean what a gut check for him right?

#3 This stuff is real. I don't care what anyone else thinks, it's going to happen. It's just a matter of when and if we are ready. I think that is the other major thing that just hit me, for all those people who doubt there is a God or the power of the Lord will surely find it that day (or if not that day, for the years to come after it). And it is our responsibility to try and teach them.

They always spoke of witnessing in church when I grew up, how to witness, where, to who. And in my opinion, we are not all called to be missionaries or go door to door sharing our faith. I think it's about living it, trusting it, and sharing what God is doing in our lives. And I believe it's also about prayer. Praying for those around to us who are lost, are having a hard time and finding themselves feeling empty. Praying for God to show us how we can be a friend, a witness to those by be loving, forgiving, kind, generous, and by understanding that to God it doesn't matter how pretty you are, how much money you have, what material things you have. It matters how you use the things he gives us and if we are right in our own salvation so that we might be a witness to others who don't.

If you haven't read these books, I HIGHLY recommend it. I know my mom tried to get me to read them back in the day when they first came out, took me awhile but I finally got around to it. They are extremely easy reads and very intriguing and like the characters in the book, it leaves you wanting to learn more about God's word and yearning to be closer to him.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Saw that you are planning on doing the 42 day challenge. My first thought too was what exactly are sweets defined as! ha!! good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Girl, I hope you join us!! Looks like there will be a nice sized group for sure!

Sweets? Candy, ice cream, cookies, mostly stuff with just solid sugar in them. Does not include chips or anything like that.

Email me your info. I am getting a chart ready!! Oh, and I saw you may be coming to my party tomorrow, hope you can!

Anonymous said...

My email is:

tctummy@yahoo.com

Im excited girl!! Tanna