Thursday, June 4, 2009

My mom's last day of school!

Today is my mom's last day of teaching. She is going into work at Zavala Elementary for her absolute last day of a career that lasted 31 years. She will take her things home, I'm sure several boxes of things and sign out. Can you imagine? 31 years full of memories, a school full of lifelong friends she has made, and a career that has earned her much respect throughout the community and among peers along with leaders in the organization.

I have many memories with my mother at Zavala Elementary. We were the lucky ones whose parents worked at the elementary school and later on high school we would attend, don't be jealous people!! My favorite memory (well I have two actually) involves a day when I was sick. It was a Thursday, I distinctly remember because it was hamburger day at school and I was going to miss hamburger day, how sad was I? I stayed home alone, I must have been in like 5th grade probably and around lunchtime my mom brought me the hamburger lunch on the lunch tray from school on her lunch break. Such a silly memory but I just remember how special it was to me that she knew Thursdays were the best and she took her lunch break to eat lunch with me at home. Only moms know how special that kind of stuff is.

My second favorite memory was at the Halloween festival they had every year. We had a art contest, who could draw the best Halloween picture. And I won. It was like the best of every grade or something but my drawing won and my mother was so proud of me. She just made such a big deal about my drawing, even though at the time it was probably horrible. But that meant so much to me that she was proud and that I won. I dressed up as a cheerleader that year too, how funny that I remember that.

My mother has touched so many lives in her career, we can't go anywhere in Grand Prairie without running into someone that calls her name "Mrs. Pecor!" across the aisle or in the restaurant or at the grocery store. In 31 years she had kids, and then had their kids, and in some cases their cousins or siblings. My mom no matter what has loved teaching. She had made so many friends just by teaching a kid in the classroom. She has spent hours trying to help kids through tutoring or with behavior problems. I can't tell you how many people she has made a difference in for the better. I have friends NOW that tell me "I love your mom, she's so cool" or "She was my favorite teacher" That says ALOT about someone. God put her in that classroom for a reason, because she was able to make a difference in the lives of students and their families.

So Mom as you close this chapter of your life and move onto the next, please remember the impact you have had on others. While at times it might not have felt like that or you might not have been told how much you meant in the lives of students and parents, I'm telling you how proud I am of the career you have had as an educator. Thank you for always giving your best, striving to make others better, and for always wanting me to read :) (that was strictly for her and she knows it HA!)

While this might be a day filled with mixed emotions, it's a time to celebrate someone who's career was full of ups and downs and many many successful times along the way. So all I have to say now is, let's party!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU MRS. PECOR!!!!!! YOU ARE OFFICIALLY A RETIREE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Lyndsey Newton said...

I have many, many fond memories of your mom. Hanging out with her and Aunt Sarah after school-and coming to your house to spend the night with Jenna-she is a neat lady-I wish her the best as she enters a new chapter!!

Kristine said...

AWW! I don't think I ever knew your mom was a teacher at Zavala. Of course your dad, but not your mom. Congrats to her! Enjoy the retired life!

Karen said...

How exciting for your mom! Tell her congrats!