Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tuesdays, Tuesdays, Tuesdays

I must say, today started off not so great. I had a mini breakdown, mainly because I am working in an 85 degree room with the temperature outside seeking 100. Definitely had a trying moment. And the hardest thing about when I loose my cool is that I always think "Why did I let that get the best of me" The situation I mean. So stupid. They (I don't know who they are but "they" say it) but I have heard that a good way to put perspective into a situation is to ask yourself if it would matter in the next 5 years. My frustration in the instance this morning, I would have to say no it wouldn't. Sometimes our emotions just get the best of us. And then I read this. I thought it was so great, came from the Proverbs 31 Ministries:

So many of us know and believe Jesus is indeed the Son of the living God, but what does that mean to us in terms of our identity? The Bible tells us in John 3:16-18 that God loved us so much that He gave His only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but live forever in eternity. "God did not send his Son into the world to condemn its people. He sent him to save them! No one who has faith in God's Son will be condemned." (CEV)

Did you notice that last part? Jesus did not die for our sins so that we would live under condemnation of them. Nor did He die so we would forever be labeled and falsely identified by our sins. He died so we would be set free from our sins and their shame, labels, and condemnation. Don't believe anyone who tells you different. Know who Jesus, your Savior from sin, is and rest in that truth.

Maya Angelo said, "When people show you who they are, believe them…the first time." I will have to disregard Ms. Angelo's statement. "Once a ___, does not make me (or you) always a ____." Why? Because of who Jesus is in us. Our God is not only a God of second chances, He is a God of infinite chances, forgiveness and grace.

We can't change what people think about us. Sure, we can try to explain how we've changed, but often others will define us by one or more sins we've committed in the past. It's happened to me before. Even though I may have once earned the "Once/Always" names I was called, I know that's not who I truly am. Our identity is NOT in what we did, but in who and Whose we ARE.

"Once a ___, always a ___"? No ma'am, that is not true in the context of Christ! In Christ, you are washed clean. Look again at our key verse, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the old has gone, the new has come." The old has gone. Gone. Gone. It's gone! Answer the question Jesus asks, "Who do you say I am?" And believe the answer that He is your Sav ior from condemnation. You are a new creation in Christ Jesus. No person or past action can take that from you because, "Once a beloved child of God, always a beloved child of God." That is the truth!

Sometimes when I lay in bed and pray at night and ask God to forgive me of the sins I have committed for the day, I tend to think that. How wonderful it is that my God forgives me over and over and over again. Even when I commit the same sin over and over and over again. I know we can't ever be perfect, not even close and we all make mistakes. But how wonderful it was to read this after a stressful morning and to know that we are forgiven. Even when we loose our cool, want to quit, give up, change, curse the person who hurt us, or just plain don't get our way and are upset. Mistakes that we make don't define who we are, just add a little character if you will. Way to flip it up right??

1 comment:

Kristine said...

LOVE it! I needed this today!