Thursday, March 24, 2011

New Blog Challenge

So, my sister is participating in a blog challenge and I thought......"hey"....."why not?"

Today's challenge is to write a list "The 16 Ways I Got Through the First Year of Marriage"

This is actually kind of funny because even though Dave and I have only been married two and a half years, it feels so much longer. I think because we dated for almost three before we got married. But then, some days, it feels like it was yesterday. We did have some issues our first year and this is what we learned:

{one} Your husband/wife should come before anyone/anything else. The reason I say this is because they are the ones you are married too. Not your friends, not your job , and not even your family. God is first, your marriage second, everything else last.

{two} Pick your battles.

{three} Try not to take everything so personally.

{four} There is no way you can please both sides of the family. We live close to Dave's parents and mine so holidays are spent with both. It's stressful trying to please everyone and make sure time is spent with both fairly, but let's be honest, it's just not feasible. Dave and I try to decide what we (as a couple) can do and then make our schedule around that.

{five} Spending time alone, with friends or without, is needed to make sure to keep your own identity and sanity. Girls nights are fun, while boys nights are a necessity too.

{six} When arguments turn into name calling and are unproductive, end it until you are both in a place where progress can be made.

{seven} Words stay with people, choose your words wisely.

{eight} Apologize when you're wrong and be gracious when you're right.

{nine} Be truthful.

{ten} Find something you can do together that you both enjoy.

{eleven} Never make the other choose between family and yourself.

{twelve} Make sure you have a spare television. Football and chick flicks don't go together on Sundays.

{thirteen} Laugh. Have fun.

{fourteen} Understand each other's faults and then get over it. No one is going to change everything about themselves you may not like. And remember, you fell in love with them for a reason.

{fifteen} Always say I love you before you leave the house. Even if you are fighting.

{sixteen} When you're having a hard time or a happy time, make sure you pray. Pray for each other, pray for yourself, pray for you both as a couple.

Marriage is hard. But, it's always a blessing. I wouldn't trade anything in the world for my marriage. Dave and I fight, we often go days without speaking. But, I love him with my whole heart and know that he is the only one for me. I hope we have many years together and when we're old and gray are still madly in love, even if we can't see one another or hear what the other is saying! HA!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I needed to read this! I get married in less than 7 months!!!

Michelle said...

Brooke-

I just wanted to comment that I really appreciate what your wrote. I have found it really encouraging as I am about to get married in 2 weeks.

You are a blog on a friend of mines blog list and I just thought I would comment.

Thanks,
Michelle

Rachel Moss said...

There is great wisdom in this post! Jer and I came from families with very different 'fighting styles', so it took us a good while to figure out what works for us in a disagreement. In the process, number 8 became a huge lesson for me!