Friday, January 29, 2010

A Tribute to my favorite teachers

I have to admit, today I subbed for a Teacher's Aide in a Special Education class and let me tell you what an eye opener it was. I am very much enjoying the whole subbing process and each time I do it I learn something new about the teaching experience. I can say today was a very gratifying day. I helped many children read assignments and do their work along with observing the teachers in their elements and how they interact with the kids. It felt very rewarding to see the kids when the moment of "Ahhh that's the answer!"came across. I can see how fulfilling and worthwhile each day of being an educator can be along with understanding that subbing is not the same as teaching each and every day. But I look forward to the day of having a classroom of my own with kids who's names I know and the opportunity to challenge along with coaching them to the "right" path in life.

So I thought I would share a few of my favorite teachers throughout the years and why they were so special to me!
  • My first grade teacher Mrs. Standefur. I have so many incredible memories of why she made such a great educator but I think the one main thing I remember about her was how fun she was. We had story time and she was such a great story teller. She was also my Mom's best friend so I got the opportunity to see her as a person rather just my teacher. We used to take a yearly trip with many other families and the adults (Mrs. Standefur and my mom included) would do knee races in the living room. You would cross your legs in an Indian style like normal and then stand up on them and race across the floor (sounds a little strange as I explain it but it was a hoot!) Mrs. Standefur lost her battle with cancer many years ago so that will always be something I remember about her........she was a very special lady.

  • Mrs. Anderson was my third grade teacher and two main things come to mind. If the class was good all year, behavior and grade wise, Mrs. Anderson promised to do her famous headstand. I have absolutely no idea how this came to be but I can still recall the day it finally came where she stood on her head, we were all so impressed. Another very special memory was when she took me to the movie. She came to pick me up on a Saturday and took me to see the movie of my choice. We got Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and shared a coke. I must have done something spectacular for her to spend her Saturday with one of her students so needless to say I felt very important.

  • Mrs. Heisig, our cheerleader sponsor and Sociology teacher in high school. Oh my how our squad put her through the ringer! I look back now and just ask how did she not quit? She was very positive and I think during that period of time I learned much about leadership and "doing the right thing". There were many, many issues that came about during my senior year of high school and some hard moments that tested my integrity but as I look back I'm proud of the choices I made and know that Mrs. Heisig helped to direct how I handled those situations.

I sincerely hope one day one of my students will be saying some positive kind things about me. Even with all the "stuff" that goes along with teaching, I'm still certain that this is what God is directing me to do. Good things to come!!

2 comments:

Kristi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nikki McCallum said...

Wow! I had the same teachers in first and third grade at big, bad Zavala. And Miss Anderson did the headstand for us, too. I remember that she was wearing those huge parachute pants like MC Hammer had. She has always been one of my favorites!