Thursday, July 7, 2011

A new beginning

So, remember when I told y'all about how I had something exciting happening about two weeks ago? Well......................

I'm excited to share that I will be going back to school! I'm starting Monday on the journey to get my cosmetology license! I'm so stoked!

This decision came, really, after my miscarriage. For some reason, I really starting thinking about what it is I want out of life. I love hair. I love to get mine done, try new things (which I haven't in a long time!), I love nails, pedicures, all of it.

It's something I've always had in the back of my mind, even before I went back to finish my bachelor's degree. After my miscarriage I was kind of in limbo for a few weeks. I kept thinking this was an opportunity for me focus on the future. There are so many things about doing hair I love. The main thing is the flexibility. I want a job that is flexible when we do have kids. I want to be able to take and pick my kids up from school, attend their school events, be off when I need to without worrying about how much vacation I have or being at work on time.

I'm also really excited about doing something I truly love. I had orientation today and it totally confirmed my decision. I thought I'd be super nervous or scared, but I was really excited. I also like that I'm not oldest person in class! That's always a plus.

'A Place of Yes' came at such a great time for me. It reminded me that we are never too old to try something new, to do something other's might not agree with but we feel is the right move for us, and to change what you don't like about your life. I've never had a book that spoke to me at such a significant time.

It's going to be a long (but not really) road. It will take me ten months to complete. So, that means by the time I'm 30 (eek!), I should be on my way to my new career. Cheers for moving forward and the BIG change I need! :)

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Very excited for you!!! You are going to be amazing at it!!! :-)

Rachel Moss said...

Congratulations...how exciting!

Kristine said...

So happy for you Brooke!!! Hmmm...I may have a new hair person! Woot Woot!! =)

Dina said...

Congratulations on your new adventure! That is so exciting!