Monday, June 7, 2010

American Pie

I love "oldie" music. I have my father to thank for that. And I found myself tonight re-enacting a common scene we saw over and over in our household growing up. I sat in the car, jamming to a certain song, belting out the words, music as loud as could be, in my drive way.

Don McClean's "American Pie" will forever remind me of my dad. Every time it comes on, I find myself not being able to turn the station. I love that song. And I love it for more than just the actual lyrics and tune, I love it because it reminds me of memories of my dad. Sitting in his car. With the music up. Singing and semi-dancing to one of his favorite songs.

I'm not going to lie, I get a little teary-eyed when that song comes on. I have this mental image of him that always brings a smile to my face. It's so sappy I know but it got me thinking........

How many times do you go through your day finding little snippets of fond memories that no matter what, will forever stay with you? It's those mental pictures we all have......just sometimes forget about until that song comes on the radio or you come across a shirt that looks like one your dad used to wear, etc. I love that my dad jammed to the Beatles and loves his 98.7. I love that I can still close my eyes and see him driving along bobbing up and down to his oldies. I have a ton of memories I come across daily and the older I become, the more thankful I am for each one because they mean something to me, and me alone.

I will always, always cherish that song because it reminds me of him. My father, who made us listen to all those "oldie" songs throughout the many years before we could drive gave me a special memory without even knowing it.

And an appreciation for music that is/was actually worth listening too.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I have the greatest memories with cleaning the house with my mom with oldies blasting on the stereo. I still blast 'em when I clean for her. "Sweet Caroline" is a song I will never be able to hear with out thinking of my mom dancing around the kitchen singing to. :-)

I love American Pie! One of my favs!

Kristine said...

awww super sweet!