Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tuesday's List: Bible Verses

Today over at love from texas it's Tuesday's list! And today we are listing our favorite bible verses! So here are a few of mine........
"A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense." Proverbs 19:11
This verse reminds me of one main thing, as a Christian it is my job to not take offense or try not to take personal other people's choices and actions. I think this is an extremely challenging task at times since I have tendency to want to make people follow the rules, or do the right thing and in actuality it isn't my responsibility. It's the Lord's. I tend to be someone who at times gets my feelings hurt pretty easily and other times turns the other cheek but either way I am called to be forgiving. Even when it's hard, even when I don't want too, and even when the offense or hurt has wounded me deeply.
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
I am a planner. Plain. And. Simple. I like for all my days to mapped out and scheduled. But I think the biggest lesson I learned in the past few months is to trust in the plans God has set for me and not my own. I am also a worrier. Now I know this verse isn't so much about worrying but it calms me to know that with God my future is in his hands and I don't need to worry about tomorrow, or 5 years now. I just need to enjoy today. The Lord has his plans for my life already laid out, I just get to wait for the surprise of what those plans may be.
"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit" Titus 3:5
Oh what a joy to know that each day I get to wake up and start a fresh new day. A new slate. Sometimes I lay in bed at night ashamed, embarrassed of choices I made throughout the day. But it is SO refreshing to know I get another chance over and over again in the eyes of the Lord.
And my ALL time favorite.........
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13:4-8
I love this verse for two reasons. 1. If we all lived by these words the world would be such a better place. Our marriages would be better, our friendships, our families. So simple is it not? Although we live in an imperfect world full of things that make it hard to follow these verses. But if I could strive to live out at least some of these words, I'd be doing much better. I also love this verse because my sister Jenna read this at our wedding. I know tons of people have these verses read at their wedding but I will always cherish them. We heard them read as our first day as husband and wife.
What are some of your favorite verses??

4 comments:

Ivy said...

Great verses! Thanks for sharing...i enjoyed reading them!

Kelli said...

I'm really enjoying reading all of these verses. I love the one you posted from Jeremiah.

Kristi said...

I graduated in 2004. Your dad worked there when I was there. (At least I think he is your dad) :)

Unknown said...

Love your verses! Thanks for sharing them. Have a great week!