Thursday, April 15, 2010

Wife Lesson #2

This week for me has been exhausting. Just exhausting. And Dave got the back lash of it.

I, for some reason, was just not in a super mood when Dave called me on his way home from work. Which, usually when I'm not in a good mood for whatever reason I really try not to take my frustrations out on him. I just did not succeed today.

I had heard some valuable advice not to long ago in church about how to deal with husbands, especially right when they get off work. Men typically need some down time, just time to get off work and let all the things from the day go away. I specifically remember our pastor saying "Try not to immediately jump on your husband when he walks through the door with to-do lists or occurrences from your day. Give him just a bit to come in, change clothes, get situated, whatever his routine is and then the talking can begin." Some women might look at this as a bad thing and that's okay. I like to see it as someone speaking from experience.

My lack of self control got the best of me today which made for a quiet evening. But I will say I did apologize when he got home (knowing shortly after our phone conversation I did not use the best judgement) but we still had one of those awkward, silent evenings which gave me time to reflect on how I can handle myself better in the future.

I guess there is something to be said about actually listening during church sermons. Tomorrow is a new day and like my father always says "Things are always better in the morning."

That father of mine sure knows what he is talking about.

1 comment:

Havard Family said...

I think marriage is a continued journey of wife/husband lessons! :) I know this is one Adrian and I have dealt with. You tend to lash out on those closest to you.