Thursday, May 26, 2011

Act on it, Rule #3

I sincerely hope that if you do read my blog, these little snipets from Bethenny's book are as helpful to you as they are to me. I find myself anticipating the next chapter of her book, just ready for the next rule and how it unfolded in her life.

Rule #3 is Act on It.

Rule one and two aren't super important unless you take Rule #3 and actually do something about it.

"Act on it means taking positive control of your life, and actually doing something about your goals. It means taking real, tangible steps forward. You stop thinking about start doing, even if you aren't sure where it will lead. It's time to start shaking things up and making changes in your life, big or small. Rules #3 helps you put things in motion, so your life can start unfolding the way you want it to."
-Bethenny Frankel, A Place of Yes-

She talks all about her many jobs in this chapter and how each job played a role in her career as it is now. The jobs you may hate at the time but somehow found their way into what she is doing present day. Whether it be contacts she had made years ago helped later on in life, the skills she acquired while doing event planning helped her to be a better business woman, or how she attended bartending school to pass the time ending up being crucial because now she has a liquor empire and figured out so much about drink mixes and the demands women have for a good drink with low calories.

I feel like in today's society, sometimes it's so hard to make a job switch. You get stuck in a rut of having to make "x" amount of dollars to pay the bills, you have responsibilities as an adult so people just stay at whatever they job have because they simply. can't. move.

I'm very lucky in the sense that Dave found something {one} he is great at {two} allows me to take some time and think about what it is I want. Dave and I have also been smart about our choices. We don't live outside our means, we aren't extravagant people who spend our money on things we simply do not need, nor have we tried to create a life that simply is not us. We have been smart with what choices we make. Do I sometimes wish I had a SUV I can drive around? Yes. Does Dave wish he had a bigger boat he could cart people around on? Yes. Do I wish at times I had new furniture, new flooring, a fully decorated house? Absolutely. But you know what, as nice as those things are to have, we have both agreed not to put ourselves in a hole in order to get those things. Immediate gratification rarely has a positive outcome at the end.

We have put ourselves into a place where I can go back to school if I choose, be picky about what job I take, take time to look inside and find my choice of what I want to do. And, that's what this chapter is about. Going outside your comfort zone to try new things. Sometimes you'll love it, sometimes you'll hate it. Bethenny is big in this chapter about getting out there and doing something about it. I think it's interesting to read about her life, all the mishaps, failures, achievements, and how she turned each one into a good thing because she was coming from A Place of Yes. Not sitting around crying about how her great idea failed or didn't turn out the way she hoped.

She also shares about Focus Noise, which to her definition is "noise that can get in the way of this process of self-discovery and taking action." (Bethenny Frankel, A Place of Yes). And yes, I'm making sure to give her the credit! HA!!!

This can come from yourself, people in your life, people you encounter along the way, people who tell you it's a horrible idea or plan. Whatever. It can be TV, that little voice inside you that says you'll never be skinny so stop trying, the Internet. All of it. She also discusses excessive worry. It's like she wrote this book for me, because that pretty sums me up to a tee. I doubt myself with any new idea I have, question if I could even do it, give in to what others might think of me. But I've come to this conclusion, none of that matters. None of it. Who cares what my friends think? So what if people think I'll fail. At least I'd be doing something about whatever it is I want to change. And, I'm sure there is a lesson along the way.

"Take a deep breathe and calm down........so you can be sensible. Do it now. You don't have to have a master plan. You just have to muster the will the act. It all comes down to saying yes. Acting on it-making real things happen in real life-coming from a place of yes."
-Bethenny Frankel, A Place of Yes-

1 comment:

Jenna @ Sharing My Jennarocity said...

LOVE. IT. And yes, I am learning alot from these posts! And this book came at fantastic timing for you - I think great things are coming for you, career wise!!! (I can totally tell by the way you quote and stuff that you are a college grad, by the way)