Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Everything's Your Business

Rule #4

Everything's Your Business

"Everything's your business doesn't mean you are a busybody, and it doesn't mean your life becomes all about work. When I say everything's your business, I mean treat everything you choose to do with as much importance as if you career depended on it. Everything's your business means that every job, person, and experience is worth your full attention."

-Bethenny Frankel, A Place of Yes-

I love this chapter. Mainly because Bethenny talks ALOT about how no matter what you are doing, do it to the best of your ability. This can be especially challenging when you are doing something that doesn't necessarily "fill your cup", say working in a restaurant as a 29 year old college graduate. Hmmmm, sound familiar? Lol.


The first three rules are vital when moving along to step four. Everything's your business means treating everyone you come in contact with, employees you may have, people you sell a house too, parents of students you deal with daily like they can all have a direct impact on your "business" later on in life.


She shares about a particular employee whom she hired as a coat check girl for an event several years ago who is now a very successful party planner for high end events and celebrities. This same girl worked her tail off checking those coats and going above and beyond to do it to the best of her ability. She came from a place of yes, the place where deep down you know you should be coming from even at jobs that "don't matter" or feel "unimportant". She later ended up taking Bethenny's job as a different company when Bethenny left and is now the marketing manager for Red Bull North America. Not to shabby!


I also really enjoyed this chapter because she talks about knowing what you, as an individual, stand for. It is also important to know what exactly is your business? How can you have a clear vision of what your business is if you don't know what your business is? Confused yet? :)


"Having your own personal mission statement focuses you in a very powerful way. It helps you see exactly how to make everything your business, because you see what fits with your mission."

-Bethenny Frankel, A Place of Yes-


A recent event took this statement close to home. I dealt with a situation where a person in power said something highly inappropriate to a young lady. We all have situations like this, and we all have to ask ourselves what we stand for. What is okay in our eyes? What type of work environment is okay to work in? When do you stand up for people who feel they are treated poorly? I think this is very important in any business: to make sure even when other people may not act with integrity or honesty, I still do. I stand up for my beliefs and what is right, because that is my business. This is an extremely specific example but, hopefully, you get the point.

One of the best things she says in this chapter is this: She realized the supreme importance of producing high quality and learned to do everything well no matter what the job or task. Take time to do the small things. Go the extra mile, show people why you're different and stand above the rest. She also talks about how if you don't do whatever job you're doing well, you won't ever know how you truly feel about it. I can vouch for this one. I do my job (or strive to) the best of ability daily and still know, I'm meant for something much bigger than this one.


When you make Everything your business you shouldn't be afraid to take risks, try something new, put yourself out there. Because regardless if it ends great or horribly, you still tried something! And, you never know who you may encounter or make contact with along the way. Could lead to bigger and better things!


I'll leave you with a great quote Bethenny used in her book (this one's for you Dad!):

"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field."
-Vince Lombardi-



I have faith that regardless of what I'll do, I'll succeed. Because one things is true in my life, I grew up learning the value of working hard, doing the right thing, and putting my all into whatever it is I may have to do (versus choosing to do). I think that's part of maturing. And learning that, as my dad loves to tell us, life isn't fair. The fair only comes once a year, and that's in October.

1 comment:

Jenna @ Sharing My Jennarocity said...

What a great post Brooke. I needed to hear that today.