Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Wife Lesson #4

Sometimes I think women forget just how much our husbands do for us.

I've had several conversations over the past few days with women I know about husbands, boyfriends and fiances and I found that the majority of the time women often turned it back to themselves and what "we" do. Whether it be housework, paying bills, working and how we as women are the ones who "hold the house together".

The past week and a half I have watched (or observed) my husband's work ethic. Work has been so hectic for him lately, many long days and too many hours at the office have consumed Dave's time causing him to not only be stressed out but has affected his attitude. Not by any means that his attitude is poor, just "down" I guess (for lack-of-a better term).

I have learned that my husband not only works because let's face it, we all have too, but because he wants to provide for his family. Dave always tells me how when he asked me to marry him he knew my parents were entrusting him to take care of me, he knew it was his turn in life to be the head of the household and provide a stable, loving home for his wife and children (one day people, not yet).

I have written about my philosophy and belief that as Dave's wife it is my responsibility to strive daily to build my husband up, speak highly of him to others, and to say thank you. Thank you for working daily to provide a home to come to after a long day, thank you for striving to be the best you can, and thank you for always showing me he will do whatever is necessary to take care of me.

Words are powerful. They, in some cases, make or break a marriage. I firmly believe that women are called to be supportive and submissive (to a point). I always thought I had to be a head-strong woman who could take care of herself without the help of a man, but I have learned over the past 16 months that I can be just that. But I am a better, more well-rounded, understanding woman with the help of my husband.

You would be amazed how different a marriage can be with those simple words "Thank you", "I appreciate you", and like I always say "I love you" (especially before you leave the house). Men need to hear those words just like we do.

I think learning this lesson early on in my marriage will make those "much tougher" times just a little easier. Or will it? :)

1 comment:

Rachel Moss said...

Brooke, this is a fabulous post...and a great attitude check for me!
I think keeping these thoughts in mind will make the tough times ahead easier, too.