Sunday, October 17, 2010

30 Day Blog Challenge: Day 3

Day 3: Your First Love

I have to say that Dave is my first true love.

Did I have boyfriends before Dave, yes. Did I think I was going to marry a certain one of them, yes. Am I glad I didn't, absolutely.

I never felt anything close to this kind of love before Dave. I was always very selfish in previous relationships, not willing to change things about myself with previous significant others. And when I say change, I don't mean who I am or my beliefs. What I mean by change is simply looking at who I was, what I wanted, and what type of person I wanted to be for him. A better communicator, more tolerate, understanding, and the willingness to work things out. I know when I said yes the day I married Dave it was forever, for better or worse. I knew that it would be hard and there would be times we would just want to give up on the "work" part of marriage. But, I also know, that I'm glad I waited for Dave.

I look back on who I could have married and know my life wouldn't be near as gratifying as it is with him. He is my best friend and the only person I can see myself with twenty years down the road. I guess there is something to unanswered prayers. I used to pray that I would get married (before Dave) and couldn't comprehend why my previous boyfriend and I weren't in the stage where that was a possibility. As hard as it was back then for me, I'm so incredibly thankful because I got me a keeper. Someone who loves me for me, someone who cares more about my happiness than his own, someone who loves me unconditionally (even though that is hard at times).

I couldn't be more thankful for Dave than I am today.

No comments: